Create a Port
Provisioning a port is the first step towards building your network.
From one single port, you can provision up to 4,000 virtual circuits (as capacity allows).
Once your port is created, you have 24 hours to delete it without incurring any charges.
Billing begins after 15 days or when the Operational status flips to Up, whichever comes first.
For more information, see Port Pricing, Terms, Billing.
Create a port
Log in to the PacketFabric portal. From the Dashboard, select Interface under Create New Services:
Complete the following fields:
Select Port Location
Select a site where you already have a presence.
Select Port Details
- Select Speed
- Select a speed for your interface.
- This option is only available when you select 1 Gbps.
- Select Optic
- The available optics depends on the location and speed you have selected. All PacketFabric connections use single-mode fiber.
Click to view optic detailsOptic Type*Speed
1000BASE-LX/LH 1 10 1310 -3 -9.5 -3 -20 1000BASE-EX 1 40 1310 3 -1 1 -22 1000BASE-ZX 1 80 1550 5 0 -3 -23 10GBASE-LR 10 10 1310 0.5 -8.2 0.5 -14.4 10GBASE-ER 10 40 1550 4 -4.7 -1 -15.8 10GBASE-ZR 10 80 1550 4 0 -7 -24 40GBASE-LR4 40 10
2.3 -7 2.3 -13.7 40GBASE-ER4 40 40
4.5 -2.7 -4.5 -21.2 100GBASE-CWDM4 100 2
2.5 -6.5 2.5 -11.5 100GBASE-LR4 100 10
4.5 -4.3 4.5 -10.6 100GBASE-ER4 100 30
4.5 -2.9 -4.9 -20.9
* All cables are Single Mode Fiber, Duplex
** Distance is approximate
NOTE: If there is an optic you want but the option is not available when creating your port, you can special order it. This generally includes a lead time up to 5 business days (if in stock).
You can work with your sales representative to make a special order. Additional costs might apply.
- Select Availability Zone
- Availability zones are isolated from each other, offering backup during maintenance outages and protection in case one zone fails. For redundancy, you should have your ports spread across different zones.
NOTE: If you intend to use this port in a LAG interface, keep in mind that all LAG members must be in the same availability zone.
- Port Description
- Enter a descriptive name for your port.
- Billing and Term Selection
- Select the appropriate billing account to associate with this service. You can also create a new billing account.
- From Select Subscription Term, select a contract length for this port.
TIP: Note how the Billing Summary numbers change based on the subscription term. Longer contract lengths come at a discounted price.
- Schedule a provision date
- Select this option if you want to order now, but are not ready to provision your port yet. You can select a date and time, at which point the port will automatically provision.
- Scheduled orders must be scheduled at least 48 hours out, and no more than 120 days. You can cancel at any time without penalty.
Review your information. When everything is correct, click Place Order.
The port might need a few minutes to provision.
Before you can access the PacketFabric network, you need to physically connect your equipment to ours.
For more information, see Cross Connects.